Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fool's Paradise

Occasionally, I feel like Mrs. Nathan Arizona, as described by Holly Hunter's character "Ed" in the cult classic, "Raising Arizona".

"HI, you heard what she said, you know they got more than they can handle"

Sometimes I feel like I have more than I can handle. The strange thing is that it doesn't do anything to curb my baby fever.

I'll say this up front (in my husaband's defense) - my children are blind, raging lunatics; as quick with a hug as they are a foot to the face. They talk incessently. They demand juice, and MORE JUICE. They stay up late, stealing the few and far between moments that Britt and I share, encroaching further and further into our "us" time.

Britt says he doesn't wan't anymore children because he is looking forward to us having some time for ourselves. I tease him that he is searching for a fool's paradise.

He thinks that once the boys are out of diapers and off the bottles that our lives will somehow re-normalize and it will again be just the two of us. Pffft! I say, once the guys are out of diapers our whole lives will be nothing but football practice, group dates to the movies, birthday parties at the bowling alley and more running around than what we did with any of our newborns.

The simple fact about child rearing is that the "good days" are the early days. Kids demand and require more time and effort (and driving!) as time goes on. Those late night strolls around the nursery will pale in comparison to the late night phone calls from teenagers asking for a ride home from the party.

All that being said, why not add another body to the mix? If you never stop worrying about your kids then having another one could/might/hopefully bring you more joy to the family.

I don't know. Maybe I just have baby fever.

Maybe we should just get a puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment