You know what? Being a dad is hard.
It's easy to praise mom - she's the marquee player, always in the limelight. Making dinner, finishing puzzles, kissing boo-boos,driving kids to soccer practice, fixing lunch, solving problems. Being a good mom isn't easy, but it is so obviously praise-worthy that we forget the unsung heros of marriage and parenting - the dads.
On our first date I told my (future) husband in these precise words, "There is nothing in this world harder than being a good dad."
"The pressure of being a good father is not for the faint of heart", I told him. I had a daughter of my own from another marriage. The child of a "not so great" dad.
In my mind being a good dad was being the guy who tucked kids in bed, read to them, played ball with them, made dinner for them, kissed them, held them, understood them. The role of "good dad" was not one to be taken lightly. These guys not only do ALL of the above, but they pay the bills, worry about the car, the mortgage, the money, etc. - and the really good ones make sure that their wives have the occasional luxury of new shoes, a perfect flower garden, or the relief of date with the man they love on a Friday night - even when times are tough.
Good dads do all of this; letting the light and love of their children reflect on the mother. And dad becomes another bit player in the game of life.
I want to say here: I have a great dad. And I married a great dad and I love and appreciate the dads I know.
I know what you're doing. I see you taking care.
You're a hero - you're my hero.
And I love you
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
tear.
ReplyDelete